for your enlightenment and entertainment

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Athlete of the Day---Ricky "The Wild Thing" Vaughn



1989's Major League is not only one of the best sports movies I have ever seen, but it is also one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The cast is brilliant which includes Tom Berenger as Jake Taylor, Wesley Snipes as Willie Mays Hayes, and of course Charlie Sheen as the Wild Thing. How Charlie Sheen's real name is Carlos Estevez I will never know because he doesn't look fucking Mexican to me. Never the less, his character in Major League is hilarious. Vaughn is the young, radical gunslinging pitcher for the Cleveland Indians. One of the more memorable quotes from the film occurs when he shows up to spring training and Hayes asks Vaughn,

"What the hell league have you been playing in?"
"California Penal."
"Never heard of it. Howd you end up there?"
"Stole a car."

The Wild Thing's actions on the field are dangerously close to resembling an earlier Sports on the Reg Athlete of the Day John Rocker and this is why we love him.

Rick Vaughn: Oh, kiss my ass!
Umpire: You're gone!
Rick Vaughn: You're full of shit! Fuck you!
Umpire: Get outta here, rookie!
Rick Vaughn: Oh, why don't you blow me ump?

If you haven't seen the movie Major League I highly suggest you do. It still gives me chills when Vaughn comes out as the closer in the ALCS with the song Wild Thing blaring on the loud speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment