for your enlightenment and entertainment

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Athlete of the Day---Larry Bird


I can't think of a more non-dominating dominant force in the history of basketball than Larry "Basketball Jesus" Bird. He was just an awkwardly tall geek who was somehow coordinated as fuck. His jumper looked like it came out of a 1940s basketball fundamentals video. Larry Legend posted the most insane stat lines since Wilt the Stilt was in his prime. The thing about the Stilt is that the average height of a basketball player in the 50s and 60s was like 5'8" and he was 7'1". Bird's career averages are 24.3 points 10 rebounds 6.3 assists 1.7 steals shooting 50% from the floor almost 90% from the charity stripe and almost 40% from the land of plenty. I would argue that if he wasn't such a big and insultingly nonathletic white guy, he could be the greatest player in the history of the game. I just wish they had combine measurements from when he was coming out of college.

PS, check out the video. His shot reminds me so much of this time when I played my grandpa in horse except my grandpa didn't bring the fucking rain

No comments:

Post a Comment