for your enlightenment and entertainment

Monday, April 5, 2010

I Love Sports

Where else can you see a grown man in a track suit straddle a college athlete while they cry and hug? Nowhere. I've gotten a lot of texts and calls about this from people saying how funny and gay it was. I couldn't disagree more. I thought this was one of the most touching moments in sports history. It's on the same level as when Derek Redmond pulled his hamstring at the 1992 Olympics, and his dad jumped out of the stands and helped him across the finish line. I mean Da'Sean Butler is a senior. This was his last game ever under Bob Huggins and maybe of his basketball career. It's an extremely emotional time in an athlete's life, and when it plays out in such a terrible way, it's crushing. Bob Huggins said that Butler is the best combination of player and person he has ever coached. I'm not a Bob Huggins fan, but I can't make fun of him for being emotional about watching his senior leader rolling around on the floor in pain, crying about his knee and because he thought he was letting his team down during West Virginia's first Final Four appearance since 1959. Sorry for the buzzkill post, but that's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment