for your enlightenment and entertainment

Monday, March 15, 2010

Virginia Tech is NIT bound...Again


So Virginia Tech was denied access to the big dance again. They probably deserved to get in this year more than the previous seasons, so me and my imagination decided to get to the bottom if this annual occurrence. Before I rant about Tech, I'd like to say that my parents went there so I kinda like them. Okay so the obvious reason they didn't get in is their non conference strength of schedule. I don't know exactly what goes into the schedule making process, but I really don't know why they can't get decent teams outside of the ACC to play them. The only in state teams they played were VMI and fucking Longwood. For Tech to begin to build a good non conference schedule they need to man up and play Richmond, VCU, or ODU. They probably have some ACC superiority complex where they think they're too good to play small state schools if they aren't a guaranteed blowout. A less obvious reason why they never get at large bids is their thuggery. There's always a potential for a guns drawn brawl when the Hokies take the floor. Also, the NCAA doesn't want to see Jeff Allen give another ref a shoulder bump while walking to the bench after fouling out. That was one of the most boneheaded things I've ever seen a college player do. Lastly, I think the tournament committee gets some sick satisfaction from hearing Seth Greenberg whine after not getting invited. I bet right after the selection show, they gather around the TV with superbowl type snacks and beers to listen to him. It's funny how he always seems to call Sportscenter like 5 seconds after the show. It's like Groundhog Day. He used some restraint this year unlike that time when he said that the committee should be institutionalized. Anyway, Virginia Tech basketball will probably continue to be the only ACC team who can't get in the tournament without winning the conference tournament. I mean they were only allowed in the ACC for their football program anyway right?

No comments:

Post a Comment