for your enlightenment and entertainment

Sunday, March 14, 2010

March Madness

The time has come for most exciting venue in all of sports: The NCAA Basketball Tournament. After watching some unforgettable conference tourneys it's now time to find out who the best team in the nation is. I just watched bracketology and was pretty content with the way things turned out. I was ecstatic to see that the ghetto Virginia Tech basketball team led by one of the biggest scumbags on earth Seth Greenberg missed the cut. For those of you who don't know, Seth Greenberg wouldn't even give Stephen Curry a chance to walk-on to the Hokie basketball team because he wasn't big enough. Great call there.

My first piece of advice when filling out your bracket is to look out for the potentially dangerous underdogs that have a history of upsetting the top seeds. For example, Siena always seems to make the tourney and they are a playing Purdue team without their best player (Robbie Hummel) so pick Siena to advance. Another upset waiting to happen is San Diego State over the Tennessee Vols. (Does anyone else wonder how Wayne Chism's headband stays on his head during the game?) If Georgia Tech beats Oklahoma State, I wouldn't be surprised to see them upset #2 seed Ohio State and Evan Turner in the second round. Either way that has the potential to be one of the most exciting games of the tourney with Turner going up against Derek Favors and Gani Lawal. I see Villanova advancing to the elite 8 but I guarantee they will have a very tough battle against Richmond assuming the Spiders beat Saint Marys. This game matches up two of the best backcourts in the country with Corey Fisher and Scottie Reynolds taking on Kevin Anderson and David Gonzalvez.

This is my first draft and I may change it between now and Thursday, but my Elite 8 is shaping up like this: Kansas, Georgetown, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Kentucky, West Virginia, Villanova, and Duke. I know there aren't many upsets here and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these teams lose early but this is what I'm going with because I can see some other top seeds (Kansas State, Baylor, Purdue, New Mexico) exiting early due to lack of tournament experience. I see Kansas, Syracuse, Kentucky, and Villanova in the Final Four with Kansas and Bill Self beating the "King of all scumbags" John Calipari and Kentucky in the championship. I see this year being a repeat of 08 when Kansas beat Memphis (then coached by Calipari) in the finals. The parallels between the 08 season and now are ridiculously similiar in that Memphis had then freshman Derek Rose leading them and taking on an experienced Kansas team led by senior Mario Chalmers. This year it will be John Wall taking on the seasoned vet and senior leader Sherron Collins. History shows championship teams always have a consistent point guard with a good assist to turnover ratio and experienced players who rebound and make free throws. Kansas is the only team, in my opinion, that fills this void and this is why I see them taking home the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment