for your enlightenment and entertainment

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

John's Wall


In light of Kentucky's John Wall being on the front page of ESPN.com for probably the 30th time in as many days, I wanted to say something about him. Will he live up to this Lebron Jamesish hype?

I really have no idea. Yes he's physically gifted and everything. I mean he could blow by a cheetah, jump over Shawn Bradley, and throw it down, but is that enough to be considered the first coming of some new God-like point guard? I love watching him play the game, don't get me wrong because he has the ability to take over and make electrifying plays, but his 4 TOs per game say maybe he forces it. He turns it over more than Larry Drew II, and every time Larry has the ball I freak out scream at the TV "GET RID OF IT! GET RID OF IT!" because I know the moment he feels pressure, whether it be from the other point guard or Roy's death stare, he's going to throw the ball directly to the other team.

Also, I question the head he has on his shoulders. What number 1 UNSIGNED recruit puts himself in a situation were he has to be detained by police for a B&E? He's got every college NBA and Euro coach drooling and signing day is approaching. What does he decide to do? Round up some of his "closest" buds go to an upper class neighborhood and perform a completely JV breaking and entering. Maybe I'm not being fair, but come on. Yeah he's fine now, but that was a potentially disastrous decision.

I won't say he'll be a bust, and yeah he could in the hall of fame. I just wonder if he won't get in his own way. It's hard to do that in college when you have a strict coach (discipline wise. not strict when it comes to recruiting rules) like Calipari riding you about decisions on and off the court. I wouldn't want the condescending asshole on my case about anything. Just wait until the NBA when he has a coach who is afraid to get on him about anything because the owner has told him "Don't piss Wall off because he's making me money, and I'll fire you if he even mulls over the idea of leaving my team." This isn't just about John Wall I hate when the media hypes players this much. I'm not gonna lie, it would go directly to my head. How can you not feel invincible if people say you could be the best point guard ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment